Tuesday, 13 November 2012

# 293 Slow cooked diced casserole beef

Before we bought our slow cooker I avoided cooking beef, it seemed to me that no matter how long I cooked it for the meat was never as tender or as flavoursome as I wanted it.

With the slow cooker however I have no such problem, the meat is always tender to the point where I can easily cut it or shred it with a fork and it's always full of flavour. Plus there's the added advantage that it cooks slowly away for several hours without the need for constant supervision so I can get on with other things.

When using the slow cooker I usually make extra portions which I keep in a container in the fridge ready to be used at short notice.



Slow cooked diced casserole beef

1,800 kg diced casserole beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
A few sprigs of fresh coriander
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes + 1 teaspoon cornflour
2 chicken stock cubes
Olive oil
A few slices of chorizo
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunky pieces
Pinch of nutmeg

Pour a little olive oil into a pan and add the chorizo slices, onion and garlic. Cook over a low to medium heat for a few minutes until the onion is soft.

Add the meat and cook until brown. Mix the cornflour with the chopped tomatoes and add to the meat with the remaining ingredients, add a little boiling water if necessary. Stirr, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes.

Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on medium for 5-6 hours stirring every 2 hours or so. The meat is ready when you can easily cut through it with a fork.

Shred part of the meat to use in sandwiches with a little mayonnaise or to make a beef and mash pie. On my next post I'll show you what I made with some of this slow cooked beef.

Enjoy.

Paula