Friday, 28 September 2012

# 275 Lasagne

Memory is a funny thing, ask me what I ate yesterday and I probably won't remember but I still remember vividly the first time I cooked lasagne. It happened at my in-laws' farmhouse on a very old wooden stove when A. was a toddler. It took me hours to make and I kept thinking what if turns out all horrible after all this work. It didn't and from then on my mother-in-law put me in charge of the kitchen whenever we visited them.

I cook lasagne quite often and I don't think there were ever 2 occasions when I made it exactly the same so the recipe below should be seen as a sort of guideline really more than a set recipe.

The lasagne in the photo was made with lamb mince which can be replaced by beef mince instead if you prefer, we do!

Also, I always precook the lasagne sheets in salted boiling water with a drizzle of olive oil. For some reason on the few occasions I tried using lasagne sheets that don't require precooking it didn't work and the pasta didn't cook through.


Lasagne

500g lamb mince (or beef mince)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 orange pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
A few slices of chorizo
1/2 can of chopped tomatoes
2 chicken stock cubes
Fresh coriander (when I don't have fresh coriander I use dried basil and oregano)
1 teaspoon chili flakes
Lasagne sheets
Olive oil
Double cream
White sauce

In a pan with a little olive oil cook the chorizo slices and the onion until soft. Add the lamb or beef mince and cook until it browns. Add the chili flakes, chopped tomatoes, stock cubes, fresh coriander and pepper. Put the lid on and cook over a low heat for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Reserve the lamb mince and cook the lasagne sheets as instructed in the packet. At the same time make the white sauce as explained here.

Pour a little double cream on an oven proof dish and make sure it covers the bottom. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of cooked lasagne sheets, then a layer of meat and so on finishing with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spread the white sauce on top and bake in a preheated oven until the top is bubbling and lightly browned.

Serve with a lettuce salad and enjoy.

Paula



10 comments:

  1. I've also used flour tortillas instead of pasta sheets which works very well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that but sounds like a good idea, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks :-)

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely Paula especially with the addition of chorizo and the double cream in the bottom of the dish. I wish I was having it for my dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy looking at your recipes as many of them are a little different to the usual recipes you see. I have found the precook pasta sheets don't work very well too. I love the addition of cream in the bottom. We quite often have vegetable lasagne, which all the family enjoy. Have you known your husband for a very long time?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      Thanks for visiting my blog and for commenting, it's very much appreciated.

      In answer to your question, I've known my husband for 30 years. We met when I was 15 and he was 13, we got married 16 years ago after going out for about 10 years or so and we have a lovely 13-year old boy :-)

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of your lasagna, and your Friday photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Paula,
    Wish I could say that I knitted the cardi - but it was a Christmas present from Boden about two years ago.
    Thanks for your lovely comment at mine!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula, thanks for your lovely comment about my blanket. I love lasagne but every attempt has been a disaster. However, I've always used those hard sheets of pasta. I think I'll give it another go using your recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lasagne - always a favourite in our house. When we have vegetarians staying I make it with roasted mediterranean vegetables that I cook earlier - red peppers, courgettes, red onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic along with some black olives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lasagne is one of my all-time favorite dishes. I found a recipe online a while back and tweaked it slightly. My wife swears by it.

    ReplyDelete