Tuesday, 18 September 2012

# 269 How to poach an egg


I think I've finally mastered the art of poaching an egg and all it takes is some clingfilm! This brilliant idea  is not of my own thinking, I came across it sometime ago but can't remember where unfortunately.

I didn't try it straightaway because I thought the clingfilm would melt in the boiling water and instead of a poached egg I'd have a great, big mess. But you know what? It really works and now I can poach my eggs just the way I like them, i.e. with a firm egg white and a runny yolk.

This is how you do it.

Put some water in a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Cut some clingfilm and line a teacup or ramekin with it.


Grease the clingfilm with a little olive oil or vegetable oil if you prefer.

Break the egg into the clingfilm, gather it carefully and then twist and tie a knot.


Basically you're creating a little clingfilm parcel with the egg inside it. Make sure the clingfilm doesn't rip.


Set your timer to 4 minutes and carefully put the egg in the boiling water. Start the timer.

You can lower the heat a little but not too much as you want the water to be at a gentle rolling boil. Remove the egg from the saucepan when the 4 minutes are up and cut the clingfilm carefully. The egg should easily slide out on to the plate and be runny with a perfectly cooked egg white.


Enjoy!

Paula


4 comments:

  1. I do mine like that too - I think I saw it on TV last year. The great thing about it is you have no mess, and you do not loose bits of the white. It also looks very satisfying when you cut it open on a nice piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs-ellent! Sorry Paula, I couldn't resist that one. I remember a tv chef suggesting this once but like you I thought the cling film would melt so have never tried it. I will now - yours looks perfect.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so that's how you do it?! Over the years, I've tried, unsuccessfully, to make a few of these. Most are horrible undercooked. Thanks for the tip, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must try this Paula! No more floating whites, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete