Thursday, 6 September 2012

# 264 Quick bread with bacon

It's back to school again and in my case that means having to prepare 2 packed lunches everyday, one for the husband and another for the son.

This quick bread is light, delicious and very easy to eat which makes it perfect for picnics and packed lunches. It's also quick to make as you can have it ready in less than an hour.

I used bacon but you can also use ham, parma ham or thinly sliced chorizo.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to give a go.



Quick bread with bacon

300g white self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
4 eggs
100ml plain yogurt
100ml milk (if you don't have any yogurt use 200ml milk)
200ml extra virgin olive oil *
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Precooked bacon slices (I think I used about 10 slices, you can fry them in a little olive oil or you can cook them under the grill)

In a bowl mix the flour with the salt and the sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until well combined.

Line a small baking tray (I used my brownies tray) with baking parchment. Pour half the batter and make sure it covers the bottom of the tray.

Remove the fat from the bacon and cut into small strips all over the batter.

Pour the remaining batter on top, make sure it's nice and even and bake in a preheated oven to 180 ºC/gas Mark 5 for 30-40 minutes until risen and golden.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray for a few minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

* I did find when I tried the batter that it had an aftertaste of the olive oil. Personally I don't mind this but if you want you can use a mixture of half olive oil and half vegetable oil).

Paula

5 comments:

  1. This looks tasty and nutritious Paula. It reminds me of cornbread. I bet your husband and son look forward to their packed lunches that you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, I will have to try this as I like to have a change from to sandwiches once in a while! I just coming back from food shopping and read this and guess what I have no bacon! I have have to try it next week instead!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This school year KP's school has said that all pupils must have a hot meal and no-one is to have a packed lunch - personally I'm a bit relieved but I don't like being bullied! Apparantly the school has organized outside caterers to come in to provide healthy meals - I'll reserve my judgement! Your quick bread looks delicious!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flavoured breads but never made any - yet. Such an easy recipe too with no yeast or proving etc. will definitely be trying this
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove flavoured bread as well.

    Up to now, I've experimented with diced bacon, ham or gammon, storebought roasted onions, dried parsley, chili flakes and grated cheese of any kind mixed into the dough.

    Always a party favourite, along with selfmade herb butter containing fresh garlic, parsley, chives, salt, chili flakes and the occasional curry powder (which gives it a nice yellow-y colour overnight). Yum!

    Greeting from Germany!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete