Wednesday, 4 April 2012

# 198 Gingernuts

The other day while browsing through the books at one of the 2 local charity shops I came across this book.


It was priced at £1 and after a quick look at some of the recipes inside I decided it was a good buy so brought it home with me and I'm glad I did, I've tried a few of the recipes with very good results.

I love baking and I love homemade biscuits, they're just miles away from shop-bought ones. The smell of these gingernuts while they were baking was mouth watering and they were so, so delicious. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them yourself.

  
Gingernuts

350 g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
200 g caster sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
125 g butter
75 g golden syrup
1 egg.beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a very low heat and until the butter has melted. Leave this mixture to cool slightly and then pour over the dry ingredients.

Add the egg and orange rind and mix well. Using your hands shape the dough into small balls and place them apart on the baking trays (I usually line mine with greaseproof paper), then flatten them slightly with your fingers.

Bake in a pre-heated oven, gas mark 3/160ºC, for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



Enjoy with a nice cup of tea!


Paula