Friday, 11 November 2011

# 148 Fridays recipes: Pork and cider casserole


At the end of each month I always look out for ASDA's free magazine, there's a recipe section which I always browse through and cut out all those recipes I think we might like to try. The October edition included a very appetizing Pork and cider casserole.

I have since cooked this dish twice and it's delicious, of course I had to make a few changes as I didn't have all the ingredients listed and had to replace them with the ones I had in the cupboard I also left the mushrooms out because husband and son don't like them.

Pork and cider casserole

Olive oil
4 pork steaks
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 celery stick, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
100ml medium cider
1 chicken stock cube
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
2 or 3 tablespoons reduced-fat crème-fraîche
1 level tablespoon cornflour

Pour a little olive oil into a pan, add the chopped onion and celery and soften. Add the pork steaks and brown on all sides. Add the carrots, cider, stock cube, dried thyme and mustard seeds. Cover and simmer very gently for 30-45 minutes. Add more cider if needed.

Add the apples to the pork with the crème-fraîche and the cornflour (mixed with a dash of cold water) and simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve with vegetables and mash potato or chips.

Note: The second time I made this dish I used 2 small pork joints which I cooked in the slow cooker. The method is the same as above except that after you have browned the joints on all sides you then transfer it to the slowcooker. Cook it on low for 4-5 hours and then check to see if the meat is done or if it needs a little more time. Also, this time around I blended the sauce before serving to make it smoother.

Enjoy :-)



Paula