Friday, 12 August 2011

# 105 Fridays recipes: Basic cupcakes

On the last day of school the Year 6 children were treated to a Leavers Disco organised by 2 of the mums.

As a treat I baked 2 trays of cupcakes following the recipe below which is from a book I once borrowed from the library, unfortunately I can't remember the title or who the author is but I'll try to find out and let you know.

I made lemony cupcakes and chocolate ones and decorated with shop-bought chocolate buttercream and icing which I made by mixing icing sugar with water, just follow the instructions on the icing sugar packet. To finish off I placed a sweet on each cupcake.

Basic cupcake recipe

115g butter at room temperature
115g caster sugar
2 eggs
115g self-raising flour or plain flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
Grated zest of 1 lemon or 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (optional)

Preheat oven and line a muffin tin with paper cases.

Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the flour and fold by hand. Stir in the milk and lemon zest or cocoa powder if desired.

Spoon mixture into each paper case and bake until risen and golden (about 20 minutes or so).

Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.





Paula