Friday, 27 May 2011

# 77 Fridays recipes: Homemade chicken and spinach pizza

The base was cooked on my new pizza mesh which makes it nice and crispy.


Dinner yesterday was a lovely pizza made from scratch. I used the bread meachine to make the dough as follows:

1/2 teaspoon fast action yeast
300g strong white flour (I mixed white and brown flour)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
170ml water
Dried oregano and basil (optional)
1/2 an onion finely chopped (optional)

Place the ingredients in the bread pan following the correct order, in my machine dry ingredients go in first and wet ingredients last.

Select the correct mode on your machine, mine has a pizza mode with a duration of 45 minutes.

When the dough is ready remove it from the bread pan onto a floured surface and press it out with your hands or use a rolling pin. Try to give it a circular shape, somehow I never manage this and as you can see above, my pizza looks more like a heart than a circle!

Transfer the pizza base to a greased baking tray or to a pizza mesh*.

Allow it to prove at 40 ÂșC for approx. 20 minutes and then blind bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare the topping of your choice.

For this pizza I used some leftovers I had in the fridge from previous meals such as roast chicken and a mince mix of chorizo and smoked pork belly**. This is what I did.

I chopped half an onion and cooked it in a little olive oil, I then added the chorizo and pork belly mince and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Then I added the shredded roast chicken and let if cook for a minute or 2. I then removed this mixture from the pan and added a couple of handfulls of spinach and let it cook until wilted.

Once the pizza base had been blind baked, I spread the onion, chorizo, pork belly and chicken mix followed by the spinach and finally topped with pieces of mozzarella.

This was then baked in the oven until the mozzarella had melted and the base had cooked through.

* Although I always blind bake the pizza base my huband would complain it was slightly soggy and he was right. A few weeks ago I bought this pizza mesh which has solved that problem, now I get a nice, crispy base everytime!

** The smoked pork belly I get from the Polish food section in Asda.



Paula