Friday, 20 May 2011

# 75 Fridays recipes: Farmhouse sponge

 
This is a simple cake made without any fancy ingredients just flour, eggs and sugar if you follow the original recipe which came from one of these little recipe books.



These 3 books were given to me 12 years ago by a former friend and last year when we went on holiday I brought them back with me. I love the illustrated covers, the black and white drawings inside and how the pages are numbered using words instead of numbers, Sixteen instead of 16.




The recipes are written in imperial units but at the end of each book there's a page explaining how to convert these into their metric equivalents which is very useful.

Anyway, this is how I made my Farmhouse sponge.

3 large eggs separated
150g caster sugar
115 g self.raising flour or plain flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder
100g butter melted and at room temperature

Line a cake tin with greaseproof paper and pre-heat the oven.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add sugar and yolks and whisk until thick and creamy.

Add butter a little at a time whilst whisking. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon

Pour into the tin and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

The image at the top is of my 2nd sponge cake and the one below of my 1st.

I cut this one in half and filled it with shop-bought vanilla buttercream.


They look so different, don't they? When I made the 1st cake I followed the recipe to the letter and didn't add any butter. The cake was still delicious although slightly heavier than the second cake made with butter and free range eggs, the reason for it's lovely yellowy colour.

Enjoy!




Paula


Pssst!  If you'd like to buy or have a look at other books in the series you can visit the publishers website here.