Friday, 19 November 2010

# 17 Pasta with Bacon

Tonight there's a Disco for the children at the school and as I'll be helping out I had to get dinner done in advance, ready to heat up later in the microwave.

I made one of A.'s favourite dishes and I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Whenever I make this wish during the week I always make one extra portion so A. can take it to school for lunch the next day. He absolutely loves it.

I'm not giving exact amounts so you'll need to adapt this to the number of people in your household.


Fry or grill enough smoked bacon slices, remove all the fat, cut them into small pieces and put in a deep oven proof dish.



Cook the pasta shapes in boiling water with a little salt and olive oil. When the pasta is al dente, drain and add to the bacon. Mix well.



Make the white sauce by melting a tablespoon of butter in a pan, add a tablespoon of plain flour and mix, then add double cream and stir until it thickens. Add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of ground nutmeg and stir. Pour part of the sauce over the pasta and mix then pour the remaining sauce on top.



Bake in a pre-heated oven until golden in colour.




Notes:

* Instead of bacon you can use ham. In fact the original recipe mentioned ham but A. doesn't like it and that's why I use bacon.

* I don't add any salt to the white sauce as the bacon is usually quite salty already.

* To make this dish a little more exotic I sometimes add pineapple pieces and chopped walnuts. The sweetness of the pineapple goes very well with the salty bacon and the walnuts add crunchiness.

*As a way to measure the amount of pasta per person I use the soup ladle, one ladle full of pasta per person.



I hope you enjoy this recipe and I if you try it I would love to know what you think and what changes you've made.




Paula