Thursday, 4 November 2010

# 13 Crochet & biscuits


I'm so excited! Yesterday I decided I'd been procrastinating for long enough and finished sewing the last of the squares and octagons that make up my popcorn flower blanket. The next stage is to come up with some sort of edging and get it finished before Christmas. Meanwhile I'm already thinking ahead to my next blanket and trying to decide if it's going to be a strippy one, a granny square one or a rippled one. Decisions, decisions!



This post is also about biscuits. I like my cup of tea with a biscuit but to be honest I'm getting tired of the shop bought ones so to make it more interesting I've been trying out some biscuit recipes I have in my recipes folder and so far there's a few we really loved and which I'll be making again sometime soon :-)

Right now I have a box full of these heart shaped biscuits, I think I need to buy new cutters as A. says hearts are too girly and doesn't want to take them to school in his lunch box!!

Anyway, the recipe for these came from the Easy Cookies web site and goes like this.

Cut Out Sugar Cookies

3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time and add the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture until well blended. Cover and keep in the fridge for about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven. Roll out dough onto a floured surface. Cut out into shapes and place on a greased tray. Bake until lightly browned. Remove from sheets and let cool on a wire rack.

Notes: I made a few changes to this recipe. I don't use vanilla so didn't add that, instead I added the zest of one lemon and also some leftover orange and lemon chopped peel I had bought for a fruit cake. Next time I might try these with some chocolate chips and raisins.



Paula